Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Class Submissions #4 / Our Weekend

Last week in class, we talked about lenses and how longer lenses allow for more shallow depth of field. The class assignment was to take two photos with the same aperture but different lenses. I only have the one lens for my PowerShot (you actually can buy lenses for that camera but I haven't made the investment since we plan to upgrade to an SLR soon). Since I couldn't experiment with lenses, I took two photos with the same aperture and varied my focal length. 

Close up without zoom (7.4), f/4.5:


Close up with zoom (36.7), f/4.5

The rest of our project was centered around meter reading and exposure. With my camera I'm not able to take a meter reading, but I can change metering modes. I tried and did my best. I wasn't very happy with the results, but I tried! 

My husband was kind enough to let me practice on him. We loaded up our very black dog, Hitch, and took him to the school practice ball field where we knew there would be white walls for maximum contrast. 


Spot-metered on midtones of shorts and skin

I wasn't happy with the exposure but I think this would be way easier using an SLR. Because my husband is handsome, and because he and Hitch are buds, I dragged them around and took some other pictures of them, too. Hitch wasn't real sure what was going on.


Hitch is a good 'ole boy. He lived at my mom's house with us before J.C. and I got married. We got him from a lady who fostered dogs from the Humane Society. J.C. and I would often take him with us on our evening walks when we were dating. When we got married, we took him with us and he became OUR dog. He's part Mastiff and part Lab. When people see us with him, they make comments like, "Whoa, that's a big dog!" or "Nice looking horse you have there!" because he really is HUGE. He makes me feel safe, and it's fun to have a big, bad dog (even though he is actually one of the gentlest dogs you will ever meet). Evening walks with my little family make me very happy.


Saturday evening, we had to take a trip to Little Rock. We had to get to the fairgrounds early, because I had photography submissions that had to be turned in for the State Fair. Solid Rock does the production for the main stage at the State Fair every year, and when I go to see J.C. while he's working it's kind of fun to have something interesting to do, so I submit some photos to Arts and Crafts. 

Since we weren't quite ready for dinner, J.C. suggested that we go walk around by the Rivermarket and maybe walk the bridge. So we did. And I took a few shots for fun. We had a good time. We saw some cool stuff, some weird stuff, and some very interesting people. An evening out with my best friend is always a good time.







4 comments:

  1. I love the close up of the baseball. It has so much character! Beautiful bridge shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the bridge shots. They make me want to go grab my camera and find a bridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your bridge shot! REALLY nice :)

    p.s. what photography class are you taking?
    faith.raider@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog and following my blog! I love your pictures and I can't wait to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete