Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hiking Adventures

One of the main reasons I'd like to become skilled in photography is because my husband and I love hiking. Our favorite thing to do together is spend a Saturday on a day hike, and it's not uncommon for us to hike between 6-12 miles at a time. I love being in the open air and seeing God's creativity displayed in nature. It adds to my joy when I am able to share the sights we have seen with other people and see the wonder in their eyes, as well.
Hiking a small trail at Lake Sylvia in Perryville, Arkansas, I came across this scenic little bridge. The lighting was just right for me to capture it well. Too bad there was no water flowing in the creek underneath!


My husband posed for me on Hawksbill Crag in the Buffalo Wilderness near Ponca, Arkansas. I'm never able to look at this photo without being scared he might fall off! I actually entered this picture into the landscape photography division of the 2009 State Fair and it won 3rd place.


I like to call this photo "Forgotten Stream" because we happened upon it while hiking off a secluded trail in the Smoky Mountains near Gatlinburg, Tennessee where we spent our honeymoon. The stream was near an old cabin, grist mill, and barn that were inhabited by Noah "Bud" Ogle and his family in late 1800's. The area has since been preserved as a historic site along the Roaring Fork Motor Trail in the Smokeys, and when I happened upon it I couldn't help but imagine Bud's children playing at this very spot when they were children.


A lone orange leaf among green moss hints at the arrival of fall after a very long, hot summer.


After fording a river we thought would only be a few inches deep (turned out to be close to three feet) my husband stops to admire the rock caves and fall colors on the Sylamore Creek Trail near Shirley, Arkansas.


While hiking a stretch of the Ouachita Trail near Maumelle, Arkansas, we came across this old tombstone leaning up against a tree in the woods. There used to be an empty coffin there, as well, but we never saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment