Wednesday, October 20, 2010

State Fair

There is something those in the production business call FILO. It refers to First In; Last Out. I married into FILO. I experienced it while dating, but nowhere near the extent I experience it now. My husband is very good at what he does. Not only that, but he loves it. I enjoy watching him enjoy it, and in many ways, I enjoy being involved in it, as well.

Can I just say, though, that after a couple weeks of watching him have to get up early, come home after midnight every night, skip meals, and deal with the frustrations involved with production (not to mention us struggling to find time to talk or spend time together!), I am glad to see the state fair come to an end. 

I made an appearance several different days at the fair. I remember I used to love that old movie State Fair, where they sang about how great the fair was, romance was kindled in the Tunnel of Love, Blue Boy won a blue ribbon, and the judges happily smacked on mincemeat that had been spiked. I don't know if the State Fair was really like that in the 40's, but now it's a bit different. Mostly to me, it is full of tackiness and germs and nasty smells rather than good 'ole American charm. But still there is a little fun to be found in the bright colors, the eccentric carnival workers, the delighted look on children's faces, and the classic rides like the carousel horses and ferris wheel. 


I can't eat them anymore since this whole gluten-free way of life that's held me captive the last year and a half, but once upon a time I did eat the turkey legs...and they were good.



I loved the bright colors of the slushee machine.


And finally, the real reason I visited the fair: the production for the main stage is awesome! ;) 



Honestly I don't care for most of the music (although the sound guy is really good!), but I do enjoy hearing Luke Williams. I've gotten to hear him and meet him quite a few times since he's usually at the State Fair and the White County Fair. He's a nice kid, and very talented.


Easton Corbin also did a concert one night. My husband has somewhat trained me to try to get some of the rig in pictures. Hah. I actually got to run that lighting rig one night. It was sort of fun. Something tells me that won't be my last time as LD.


There's another term thrown around in the production business: GAK. Gak is all that stage stuff...all the road cases and cables and other things that you find backstage. There is also a term used in photography: The Magic Hour...that beautiful time at the end of the day before sunset that provides lovely lighting for pictures—in this case—backstage with the gak. (My good friend Beth is sweet to go and hang out with me every year...although she says that we're just her backstage ticket.)





(By the way, I was surprised and excited to get two photography ribbons this year. A 3rd place color scenic ribbon, and a 1st place black and white portrait ribbon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment